Sunday, May 25, 2014

Redefining myself as an athlete

Over the past several months, I have become a sloth.  I've been frustrated with my knee.  Somedays it hurts to walk around, somedays it feels like I could go run 20 miles on the trail (if I was physically capable anymore).  This frustration had led me to give up on myself.  I haven't done much of anything at all- no planks, push-ups, PT exercises, running, riding on the trainer or anything else remotely athletic.

I decided I needed to redefine myself.  I had no more goals.  I had no desire.  I had nothing to motivate me.  I lost the fun of working out just for the hell of it.

So, redefine myself I will.

Into what?  I decided to get back into racing...bicycle racing!  I've got a long way to go, but I plan on finding a cat 5 race in the late summer.  For now, it'll be riding the roads when I can and on the rollers when I can't.  I'll also be doing the occasional plank and some push-ups as well.  I remember really needing those arms to help propel myself up those hills!  Geez...did I really use to attack them in the 53 tooth ring?  Yeah, and I'm looking forward to the challenge of getting back at it.

Will I get to where I was?  I did with running in terms of distance (and setting distance PR's) but not with speed.  I don't think I'll be heading out for an easy 80 or 90 mile ride each weekend, or grinding out a tough 23 in an hour without aerobars (I remember that PR at 23.4- easy to remember!).  But I really want to break my speed PR of 58 MPH on a downhill.  I know exactly where that hill is.  I remember that speed, too.

The bike I have will have to be good enough for the road, but I'd like to get into cyclocross as well and I'd need a bike for that.  And, of course, I've got my eye on a couple...but I'm not going to get ahead of myself yet.

But, like I said, I can't get ahead of myself.  My dicktor that said I shouldn't run anymore (ok, it's worked out that way...for now) also said I shouldn't ride a whole lot either.  We'll see.

8 comments:

  1. Erik - glad you are coming back and getting away from slothdom. The injuries have affected us both over the past year, but neither of us will give up or give in, we do what we can and keep smiling :-). I look forward to hearing that you broke 60 mph without breaking your neck ;-) hehehehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Harold! 60 would be awesome, but it'll be a while. There's a nice flat stretch (about 1/4 mile) at the top of the hill that I have to time trial, then it's an out of the saddle sprint down hill before tucking my stomach on the bike seat and butt above the rear wheel for optimal psychotic aero dynamic position. I'm not that strong or flexible to do that...yet :)

      Delete
  2. You can do it! Just listen to your body. Maybe running isn't the best thing for you anymore, but you can absolutely redefine yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the support Meg! I think if I strengthen my legs with cycling, I'll be able to run a few times a month, too :)

      Delete
  3. I'm inspired by your determination. As I struggle with my first marathon training I'm going to remember how you working through this transition. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb. It's definitely frustrating :) Keep going with your marathon training!! Stay strong, train smart :)

      Delete
  4. Awesome that you are finding another way to stay active and race with your knee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abby! Now I just need to be consistent...doing some kid's book writing and revisions, then heading to the bike trainer to watch a movie :)

      Delete