Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Virtual 5k race to beat Cystic Fibrosis

**Correction made for the link for where to donate!  I had it linked to a home page for me CFF page, not the donation page!  Thanks!!**

As many of you know I use my blog to help fundraise for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation to fight Cystic FIbrosis.  Here's some information about CF from the CFF site:
"Cystic fibrosis is an inherited chronic disease that affects the lungs and digestive system of about 30,000 children and adults in the United States (70,000 worldwide). A defective gene and its protein product cause the body to produce unusually thick, sticky mucus that:
  • clogs the lungs and leads to life-threatening lung infections; and
  • obstructs the pancreas and stops natural enzymes from helping the body break down and absorb food.
In the 1950s, few children with cystic fibrosis lived to attend elementary school. Today, advances in research and medical treatments have further enhanced and extended life for children and adults with CF. Many people with the disease can now expect to live into their 30s, 40s and beyond."

Their site has a lot more information and I encourage you to check it out!

I became involved with fundraising for CFF after meeting a little girl name Lauren who lives with CF and battles it every day.  I fundraise specifically for Lauren's Lifesavers, one of many fundraising teams that are a big part of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.  

Here's a video of Lauren that her parents had made up about Lauren and what her day/ life is like:


Lauren is an absolute sweetheart and I want to do everything I can to help her and the many, many other children and adults with Cystic Fibrosis beat this horrible disease!

So, I have decided that I would hold a virtual 5k to help fight Cystic Fibrosis!

The race will be held on Saturday, June 2nd, 2012.  But, you can run your 5k any time between Saturday, May 26th and Sunday, June 3rd!  All you need to do to enter is donate at least $5 to Lauren's Lifesavers and the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation!  The link for donating is here!  The link is for my fundraising page for Lauren's Lifesavers and CFF.  Last year I raised $765 over the course of the year for the annual CF walk and also for a 12 hour endurance run that I did and I am hoping to beat that total this year!

When you donate there is an optional comments section.  All I ask is that you leave a comment saying you are in for the Virtual 5k and you will be entered!  If you wish to donate anonymously, please e-mail me at ferretsnicker20 (at) yahoo (dot)com to let me know you are in the race!

Why do I need to know you are in the race?  Well, there are some prizes.  I will have a prize for the fastest overall male and for the fastest overall female.  Along with the winner's prizes, I will also have some random prizes and some gifts for donations of $20 or more!  I am stil working on getting some prizes together.  For now I have a $15 Road I.D. gift card, assorted Clif Bars, Clif Builder Bars, and Clif swag-exact swag to be determined (Did you hear that I am a Clif Ambassador???).  I am in the process of finding some more prizes as well.  As for the than you gifts, anyone donating $20 or more will be mailed a Clif Shot Gel (Mocha or Vanilla) for the $20 and another gel for each $10 over (2 gels for $30, 3 for $40, etc...).

I will also have Clif Bars and Clif Builder Bars to giveaway to people who come to the on-site run on June 2nd!  I plan on having the on-site run at Gring's Mill.  The exact time is still to be determined.  If you plan on running the on-site race, let me know!  The on-site race will be just like a group run.  I will have the halfway point marked with flour so you know when to turn around as well as a marked start/finish line.  I am hoping to secure a large jug to bring for water but if you'd like Gatorade or anything else like that, it'll be BYOG!  This isn't an official race at Gring's Mill; like I said , it's basically a group tempo run! 

6 comments:

  1. I can now add Runningwarehouse.com as a sponsor! They are going to be sending some RW gear to add to the prize list!! Thanks Running Warehouse! You rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm signing up now so I don't forget AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the link is taking me to the right page. It just looks like the main page.

      Delete
    2. Wow! Talk about a big mistake! I have corrected the link! It is ready with the CORRECT donation page!! Once you get through the opening information, the Click To Donate button is at the bottom of the page!!! Thanks for letting me know Suz and Allan!!!!

      Delete
    3. I've got both Allan & I signed up for the virtual race. Sorry it took me so long!

      Delete
    4. Woo!! Thanks for signing up!!!

      Delete